- 1.5kg gravy beef/skirt/chuck steak (cubed)
- 6 large garlic cloves sliced
- 2 nuggets ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 150ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tart fruit jam (redcurrent, plum)
- 350-500ml apple juice
- 2 medium chillies
- Heat the oil in a heavy based casserole.
- Season the pieces of meat with salt and pepper and brown them in batches, turning them to colour all over. Remove each batch and set aside while you brown the rest. Once the beef is browned, remove it from the casserole and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and ginger to the casserole and cook gently until softened but not coloured.
- Add the jam and soy sauce, mix well, then return the meat to the casserole, in a single layer if possible.
- Pour in enough apple juice to barely cover the meat. Add the vinegar, chillies and a few grinds of black pepper and cover and place in an oven preheated to 120C and cook for 2 1/2-3 hours, until the meat is completely tender.
- Serve with noodles and steamed greens.