- 2 x 1.5kg beef short ribs
- 180ml tomato sauce
- 150ml stout
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaped tsp English mustard
- 4 tbsp malt vinegar
- 4 tsp gold syrup
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 100C. Places the ribs in a snug fitting roasting tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil, then rub all over.
- Cover tightly with a double layer of tin foil, then cook for 7-8 hours, or until cooked through and tender. Transfer the ribs to a baking tray. Skim away the fat from the roasting tray and reserve in an airtight jar (great for roast potatoes)
- Place the roasting tray over a high heat and bring the juices to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the BBQ sauce ingredients. Bring it back to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Brush most of the sauce onto the ribs so they are nicely coated, the return the ribs to the oven for 20-40 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised.
- Transfer the ribs to a chopping board, then either carve them into sections, or remove all meat from the bones.
- Serve with remaining BBQ sauce, creamy mashed potato and a winter coleslaw.